26

Feast Day of Sto.Niño ala San Beda College

The Feast of Sto.Niño is celebrated every January.  It starts on the Thursday after the Epiphany.

There are two version of the story why and when this feast started. 

The first story is, in 1565, a Spanish marine found the Sto.Niño relic, with the right hand slightly raised, inside a burnt house. The relic is not damaged even the neck chain, the clothe, the golden sphere; there is no sign of being damaged by the fire.

The second version was a fisherman caught the statue and rid of it after, only to find it again with a bountiful harvest.

Which story do you believe in?

From then on, the relic was taken out for procession. The creation of Confraternity of the Sto.Niño de Cebu was ordered. Then a fiesta was celebrated as a remembrance of the finding of the relic, and as we can all witness it is still celebrated up until now.

The celebration of this feast in Cebu is a grand one. People will flock all over the street just to witness or join with the procession. Many devotees would wait in the Basilica just have a glimpse of the Sto.Niño. Many Filipino and even tourist would go to Cebu just to see and experience this fiesta themselves.

Here in Manila, Catholic schools also celebrated this feast. One of the celebration that I was able to attend to was in San Beda College in 2009. I think this is also the week of their foundation day (please correct me if I'm wrong). I was invited by my cousin

Let me describe and tell you the things that you can do in this celebration through these photos:

I was accompanied by my friend Jay-Jay to go to San Beda and we waited for my monk cousin to meet us in the lobby of their dorm.

Jay-jay and Me
I think this is St.Thomas Aquinas, this is the relic that you can see in the lobby.
The following will be the things that you can see in the feast. First is the car show. Where a lot of college students from the school or from other university bring their cars and showcase how beautiful they. I would like to apologize but I can't name any of these cars because I don't really like cars. 






Next things was the butterfly house, or net per se. They have different species of butterflies in the house/net. A lot of children enjoyed going there.




On their late stage to be a full grown butterflies


The owner of the butterfly house/net still keeps dead butterfly. They use collect and then frame them.
There is also an exhibit of Sto.Niño from Manila and neighboring provinces. My cousin was the one who led the arrangement of these relics.






























There were also arcade games and other fun activities. Different food stall is standing all over the campus so you'll not get hungry, I'm sure.

Before we left, Jay-Jay was able to have a haul of food goodies.


And mint chocolate chip ice-cream for me. :)


Have you experienced the Sto.Niño festivity? If yes, how did it go?

26 comments:

  1. What a great celebration! The cars are just so cool that I wanna ride in it!

    But the important one is the Sto. Nino which is the reason why we celebrate His special day hence the statues of Him are present.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep the rides are all so cool.

      Sto. Nino is indeed the center of the celebration.

      Delete
  2. Nice one! I think I wanna have the jeep.. hahaha!
    I'm addicted to watching Teen Wolf, one of the characters there is Stiles Stilinski, he drives a jeep which others would refer to as scrap but I think its sooo cool.

    On the other hand, I didnt know Sto Nino had a long history to be celebrated, especially in Cebu.
    Thought it was something that goes way way back

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here! I want the jeep. It looks oh so cool and all. haha.

      I think there's another term for this feast but I just forgot.

      Delete
  3. nope! haven't tried attending any sto.nino though i am familiar with some of them. I am a member of INC so not so good with this. love all your photos! those butterflies and cars!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, all the cars are so wicked. I just didn't have the chance to take all the photos of them.

      Delete
  4. I have never attended any feast of the gods in the Philippines. :) I like that pink car - the design seemed futuristic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A lot of my friends also liked the pink car when I showed them tese photos.

      You should attend one of the feast because they are all so fun and colorful.

      Delete
  5. They have really a lot of images of the Sto Nino and good to see several activities lined up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These are just some and we're not sure if there are more here in the country or around the world.

      Delete
  6. In Cebu, the Feast of Sto Nino is always associated with the SInulog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the term that I was looking for. The Sinulog festival.

      Delete
  7. I have already seen that pink car in a car show in Taytay.... Looks like you had a lot of fun :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The pink car seems to be everywhere. I've also seen it La Consolacion College.

      Delete
  8. Why do they have to include a car show during the celebration? May relevance ba sa observance ng Feast of the Sto Nino.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Papaleng, one of the activities lang po yan sa San Beda College. The car show helped the organizer of the show to raise funds.

      Delete
  9. So there are two stories about the Sto Nino relic. I think I wil honor what the church would say about its history.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just remembered this but it was taught to us during our highschool days.

      Delete
  10. I've never attended a feast all my life. It seems all the people are having so much fun :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes they are. :) You should attend one soon.

      Delete
  11. There are really many variations of the Sto. Nino found all over the country.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Writer forgot to mention that there is the sto. Niño procession on the last day of January starting late in the afternoon attended by all the students, friends, relatives and the general public. These has been ongoing for more than 50 years. The car show and the beautiful sto. Niño images ate of recent

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am not catholic so I don't believe on any of it. Most of the feast and catholic celebration only came from the church.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wooow I super love how the hood of that Mitsubishi Lancer opens!

    Btw, here are the makes and models of the cars you featured:
    CAR # 1.) Honda Accord
    CAR # 2.) Honda Civic
    CAR # 3.) Mitsubishi Lancer
    CAR # 4.) Toyota Land Cruiser
    CAR # 5.) Honda S2000

    self-proclaimed car-enthusiast here =) hahaha ♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  15. Looks to me like you really had a great time :) The cars really look awesome - and I love the mint ice cream at the end of the day :D

    joy | chemist2writer

    ReplyDelete
  16. Aw! i love car shows: vintage and hybrids! PS. Jayjay is cute huh. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for making me do my happy dance (I know you don't see me but I'm doing it!) I'm always excited to read your comments, that makes my heart swell.

I will get rid of comments that I think disturbing, inappropriate or spammy like in any way. All comments are moderated and may take a moment to appear.

BTW, Please don't forget to leave the name and URL of your blog. Will be happy to visit them sometimes.

Thanks again you lovely people! Have a nice day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...